A LowCountry Tale

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

One of my favorite foods is shrimp, for many reasons: I live 100 yards from where you catch them, they’re delicious, my dad would physically hurt me if I didn’t, and the most important reason of all…

I got attacked by a shrimp one time


Yup. I remember it so vividly. I was about 9 years old and was taking a tour of a shrimp boat in Beaufort with some family and friends. We were out in the river, the nets were pulled up, and the shrimp was tossed on the table. I had a front row view of the table with my head just peering over it.

Then all of a sudden, with all the shrimp popping up and down, one lively one jumped extra high hitting me directly between my eyes and then back into the ocean. The shrimp used me to escape. So now, I eat all the shrimp placed in front of me in hopes that I will someday get revenge.

I think my favorite shrimp dish (and there are many - watch this video from my favorite movie, Forest Gump, that names a few) is the lovely shrimp burger.

I was able to enjoy one back home last weekend at The Shrimp Shack (the best place to get and the shrimp are from right across the street). Basically, all a shrimp burger is is shrimp beaten down and then formed into patties. Then they are usually fried, but on a bun with some tarter sauce and served. Delicious. There is nothing much better than that, I promise.

Here is a picture in case you can’t imagine the goodness I’m describing:

0 comments: