I Hate Cars

Saturday, April 4, 2009

A quick break from London here.

I never had any car problems while I was in high school or at home. But now that I have moved over 300-miles away, away from my dad who deals with car issues for me, I’ve had several.

Most recently, yesterday, I dealt with a very unique problem:

My car would not turn off.

Yup. I put it in park, went to turn the key to turn the ignition off only to find it stuck and not willing to turn or turn off. What does one do in this situation you may ask. After a few seconds and the realization that car dealerships and shops were closed, I considered my options:
• Let the car run out of gas and eventually turn off
• Rip the key out by sheer force (not from my wimpy self of course, but instead my friend who plays basketball for WU)
• Freak out, cry, call AAA and find another solution

I chose the third option. However, upon calling AAA they told me they could not immediately help me because my car was still in service. Exactly.

So instead, myself and 3 other girls had to pop the hood (which took a quite a few minutes) and be talked through via phone on where to find the black box that held the fuses, pick the correct fuse out of like 20, and pull it out. I now wish I would have taken a picture of all of us crowded around scared to pull it out in fear that we may get shocked or catch something on fire.

After several minutes we pulled the fuse and off it went! We were pretty proud of this great accomplishment.

So then I had to intentionally lock my key in the car (which was still in the ignition) and get AAA to tow it to the Saturn dealership the next day to fix it.

I got the car back today and it’s fixed! Woohoo! But while watching my little Saturn get pulled up on that tow truck, I told Jennifer I just wished we had trains, busses and subways that took us everywhere like in England. Then problems like these would not happen. But then she promptly reminded me that instead we would have the problem of people jumping on Subway tracks at our stop causing us to ride all over the city of London to get home. I don’t know which is worse.

1 comments:

Laney said...

I'm pretty sure that this day was the most exciting afternoon of my life. I never thought i would pull a fuse..a real fuse out of a running car..that i thought was going to blow up at me at any moment. Anyway..yay for cars being able to stop when being turned off!